Annarasumanara

1) Aesthetically I thought it was really cool how he utilized so many pictures and collaging to enhance the story. It never felt out of place. And although it is technically easier than drawing everything, it feels more like a choice. It definitely makes it stand out more. Apart from that, I enjoyed the story overall, and I liked how it was about breaking out from the norm, and that is reflected in the art as well (with the collage).

2) I think this story is still very representative of societal pressures today. Many people in high school are pressured by their family and elders to do something that they don't want to do, like becoming doctors, lawyers, etc. Everything just revolves around what will make the most money, and not what will bring the most happiness. Obviously this issue varies from person to person, and many people are encouraged to pursue their dreams, but it is still very much of a prevalent thing that happens to young people. I was fortunate enough to have a very supportive family, who encouraged my endeavors in the arts, and I am very grateful that I didn't have to go through that added stress.

3) I would probably chose animation for the medium. Since the whole story is about magic, I feel like there's a lot of fantastical imagery you could do with animation, that live action wouldn't be able to achieve. I would definitely keep the collage elements though. I feel like that is part of what makes this work special, and for it to feel the same way in a different medium, that element needs to stay consistent.

4) I think this also falls in line with the art style. There are a LOT of scenes where the effect that the author is trying to achieve could only be done with a vertical scrolling format. A couple of these instances are tied to Ildeung. Namely, when he is thinking of the asphalt road. The effect of looming is really enhanced by the "animation" of scrolling down and watching the big road dwindle until there is only a teeny tiny Ildeung left in a sea of black. The only other way I could see this working in a different format, would be to animate it. The way that this story was drawn just wouldn't translate as well to a typical folio format.

In case you are wondering, I am Salmon Avocado Roll.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ayako

Oishinbo